PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying is danagerous - a risk assessment - comments please
Old 24th Nov 2007, 14:36
Contacttower
Fly Conventional Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone "learning to fly" and asking me "which plane to learn to fly first", I would answer "a taildragger" in any case.
I really regret not learning in a tailwheel because I certainly prefer flying them to nosegear aircraft.

I think the thread is showing that CT is lacking confidence in his TW ability, so feels safer in his NW aeroplane.
To be honest I do feel slightly safer in the PA28 than in the Super Cub...but that is completely different from lacking confidence. I little bit of fear and respect is a good thing...it keeps you alert and it stops you getting complacent. Perception has a lot to do with it.

CT - I suggest you find a good TW instructor (not suggesting your previous one was not good) and get some more instruction. Then go fly your Super Cub in the circuit for as long as it takes for you to feel comfortable with it.
I really don't feel I need to- I'm completely happy with my skills, I just recognise that as a pilot who learnt on nosewheel aircraft and who has the majority of my hours on nosewheel aircraft I am probably more likely to have a landing accident in the Cub than in the PA28. We aren't all as experienced as SSD!

I don't see any practical relevance to takeoff anyway, a tailwheel is only really unstable during deceleration - usually a small window of time at a relatively low speed a few seconds after landing.
Due to torque, gyro and weather cock it is harder to maintain directional control on take off in a taildragger than in a nosewheel aircraft. That is what I was taught.

Also, don't believe that tricycle gear aircraft are forgiving, they are not. There are numerous AAIB reports where "safety aeroplanes" have ground loops, overran, stalled, undershot, damaged the gear (particularly the nose) and struck props. These events seem to be just as likely regardless of the configuration, except that when searching the AAIB for "propeller struck", 4 out of 16 aircraft returned were t/w.
I'm going to spend some time on the AAIB website and try and find out exactly what the stats say on this. Until then I'll try and shut up because I must be sounding like a dog who won't let go of a bone.

To SSD and all those who disagreed with me:

Please, please don't get me wrong; I don't believe that taildraggers are 'dangerous' at all and I love the Super Cub...its a great plane and I will continue to fly it with confidence. I just think planes have become more idiot proof over the years.

I'm really sorry Fuji about this, the discussion is probably not what you envisaged at all.