PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - (The Department of Labour says) Kulula says Blacks are Non-swimmers
Old 24th Nov 2007, 11:32
unstable load

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am in the "other" branch of aviation-- Rotorwing, and in the course of my career I have had to do HUET (Helicopter Underwater Escape Training) because part of my duties as an engineer required me to fly as crew on offshore sectors.

In this HUET training I have met men and women from all over the world from a national and pigmentation point of view and there is nothing like staring at the pool from 5 meters up and stepping off that ledge to separate the swimmers from the non swimmers.

I have seen a burly (white) Rig-Pig almost in tears at the prospect because he could not swim. Same for a black lady who flew for one of the Central African national carriers, and the great thing about the training was that we ALL encouraged and supported these folks to help them through the ordeal succesfully so they could be more effective at their jobs.

On the flipside, I have also met eneough blacks who were perfectly comfortable in the water, and my own mother who was petrified of the sea, so really guys, let's all see the comment that is attributed to Kulula for what it is, A statement from the Government trying to undermine a successful threat to thier national carrier. A carrier that is carrying them down the toilet.