PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sea King too old and putting Lives at risk.
Old 23rd Nov 2007, 23:15
SARREMF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WOW

Chaps what a thread! And to think I almost missed it!

Ok, here we go. Now you all know that I don't normally side with Crabb. Its OK I'm not going to yet. However, a couple of pages ago Speechless said a few things about Crabb that were simply not true.

Firstly, I am an ex mil SAR QHI. I flew both Mk3 and 3a Sea Kings. I know Crabb but rarely agree with his posts. However, to say he is arrogant and lacks CRM etc etc is simply not true. Actually, he is a nice bloke who it is a pleasure to know. He also has a cracking sense of humour and I think some of his tongue-in-cheek remarks and irony he uses are being taken too seriously. He also posts stuff that is in the heat of the moment and perhaps goes a little too far.

Crabb. You have just read the above. Now get yourself to an MCA flight and go see how they do it. No invite, poor excuse! Why don't you call the new SAR-H requirements manager and get her to arrange the visit? Then when you have seen the facts and spoken to the people your posts will take on a different tone. Lets bring some harmony back.

Chaps and Chappesses. Once Crabb has done that, its up to the rest of the civ SAR guys/girls to go visit a mil SAR flight.

I am not making excuses for him, or really defending him .. well OK I am a bit. However, I think he really is trying to rant at the 'System' not the individuals - he does say this a lot. Sadly, when ranting at the system it is easy to get sucked in to generalising every one together and insulting the masses.

A couple of other points. Crabb, you are recounting stories of times past about civ SAR. Similar horrendous stories abound for pretty much all the mil SAR flights - Chivenor..... wheels up landing. That covers both services!

All SAR flights change be they military or civil. People move on and places change atmosphere. What was once nothing better than a flying club becomes very professional and a highly regarded place under new leadership. Change the leadership and your back to demotivated people just turning up for work. Example? Being where you are, you know WHO I mean - not your present flight or Sqn OC!

lets just talk about cost and mil vs civ?

Is it cheaper? Or is mil more? Well, I don't actually think there is a great deal in it now - and boy have I been studying this! In an ideal world Crabb you would get new aircraft and carry on. But, your missing one vital point. Its not all about money, its about people. You see there are a lot of you in SAR, and there could be less military a similar service for very similar costs. The surplus people? Well its back off to SH with you all where you are very much needed.

Its not the civvies who undermined mil SAR, its the MOD. You see your lords and masters decided they only wanted a few to gain these cracking skills - and they are cracking skills. The rest need to be in the thick of the fighting. The concept is that the rotation from SAR will spread the experience throughout [I have my own views on if this will work]. Overall, in the end, the stable community will be the civ SAR people. The turn over will be of mil personnel to and from the SH world [and I include the RN in that [sorry RN!]].

So, how to sum up this last paragraph? The MOD thinks you are a Military helicopter pilot that is miss employed in SAR. Sadly, and I mean that, the writing isn't on the wall, its engraved in 2ft high letters and not much is going to stop it!