PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying is danagerous - a risk assessment - comments please
Old 23rd Nov 2007, 16:28
Contacttower
Fly Conventional Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I refer you again to all those broken noselegs, props, and shock-loaded engines in the AAIB reports every month.
To be fair there are a lot more nose wheel aircraft out there to get broken.

As I said I don't really want an arguement over this...so I'm not going to reassert what I said earlier (because you'll just disagree with me). Instead I'm just going to say what I think...in terms of me i.e. my personal perception of risk when I go flying:

When I go flying in the PA28 I don't really think about landing/taking off too much...after all it's a pretty solid plane...it doesn't pull any tricks and to be fair in good conditions its difficult to mess up the landing if you arrive over the threshold at the right height and speed; power off as you flare, raise the nose a bit, hold and 99/100 the main gear will kiss the ground followed by the nosegear shortly afterwards. Overall in terms of the different risks associated with different parts of the flight take off/landing does not rank very high.

When I go flying in the Super Cub my perception of the risk changes slightly...I'm never worried about running out of runway for example...but the risk associated with take off/landing increases in my mind slightly. When you open up the throttle it's not just 'sit there and wait for the speed to build'; one has to be much more active with the controls. I personally find landing the Super Cub harder than landing a PA28...and in my mind that equates to a greater degree of risk involved in the action.

These aren't the words of someone spreading 'barroom bravado' about taildraggers or someone who flys in fear of what the aircraft might do to them but someone who is slightly in awe of one of the greatest planes ever built and has the sense to treat it with the respect it needs and deserves.