PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying is danagerous - a risk assessment - comments please
Old 23rd Nov 2007, 15:05
Shaggy Sheep Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look I don't want to get into a silly arguement about this...because actually I suspect in reality that our views on taildraggers are pretty much the same. A little while ago a friend of mine started doing his PPL on a Super Cub and on his first solo he ground looped it and damaged it to the point that he had to complete his PPL on the C152.
CT, as FD said, you are talking rubbish.

Once your friend is trained to fly taildraggers, he'll find it no more 'dangerous' than nosewheel flying. There is nothing intrinsically more dangerous about a tailwheel aeroplane over a nosewheel one.

Indeed once tailwheel trained, you friend will actually be a safer pilot since, even when flying a nosewheel aircraft, he will hold off correctly because of his tailwheel training. He will thus be far less likely to become one of those several pilots in the AAIB reports each month who break their aircraft's noselegs. Just watch the C172s and PA28s landing at GA fields - many will land on all 3 wheels together, with little or no attempt at a hold off.

Yer tailwheel pilot would never inflict that on an aeroplane.

SSD