PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The issue of paying for endorsements
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2007, 13:22
AerocatS2A

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Last time I read the tax rules, you must be undertaking the study to enhance your earning prospects within your current job with your current employer. So, if VB say, "you've got a job mate here's your letter of offer, you start Monday, have fun at the sim training" you'd be good for a deduction. If, on the other hand, they say "We will employ you once you have got an endorsement," then technically it's not tax deductable. That's not to say you can't claim it, but if you get audited you may have trouble substantiating the claim.

Perhaps someone will know if there has already been a test case on this. All I'd say, is be careful making large claims.

training wheels, the tax system isn't that simple unfortunately. You can't even claim the expense of a headset, you have to claim the depreciation in value. You still get the money back, but it happens over the life of the headset rather than straight away.

On the other hand you can claim stationary, luggage, sunglasses and various other things outright.

In case you think I'm mistaken, from the ATO website:

You can only claim self-education expenses that related to your work as an employee at the time you were studying. If your self-education was to help you get a new job or commence a new income-earning activity, you cannot claim your expenses.

So you cannot claim if it is to get you a new job.