PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Must have helicopter stuff
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2007, 12:12
EN48

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunglasses and kneeboards

After years of experimentation, I have found the Serengeti Aviators to be by far the most suitable sunglasses for flying. These are photochromic (automatically adjust density for ambient light conditions), improve contrast in mist and haze, are graduated (darker at the top, lighter at the bottom), have glass lenses whcih are almost impossible to scratch, and have proven to be indestructable. Over a ten year period, one pair which I use every day is still going strong. RayBans usually last me about 2 years before something breaks. Anout $90 U.S. at the discount aviation supply companies on the web.

In 40+ year of flying fixed wing, I have never been a fan of kneeboards. When I began helicopter training a year ago, it became clear that having things close at hand was going to be important, at least for a newbie when flying solo. I tried many of the available kneeboards and forund that all but one were too large and interferred with the cyclic. The one I recommend is quite small (but just large enough) and is marketed in the U.S. under the brand name Sky High. A quality product made of heavy duty nylon cloth with a metal stiffener. Really well thought out and with many more features than I can describe here. About $35 U.S.

Finished the PP add-on in an Enstrom 480B in June, and now finishing the Commercial and Instrument rating. Kneeboard and sunglasses have served me well.

RB