PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The issue of paying for endorsements
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2007, 11:13
Zenreverend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The issue of paying for endorsements

Now without rehashing whether it's 'right or wrong' on principal to pay for endorsements, I have a pretty straightforward point to make and question to ask.

In my professional experience (admittedly not aviation) costs incurred for professional development can be paid by an employer (who wishes to gain good faith and loyalty among its employees) who then might expect a period of bonded employment from the newly trained employee depending on the cost and nature of said training. Companies can write off employee's training costs, so they receive a tax break.

Or the cost can be paid by the employee who is wanting to make a pro-active choice to further his skills and hence career options. This removes any obligation to the employer and of course, he can move on to that new 'better job' straight afterwards. In the case that the employee pays, as long as the costs are for 'furthering a career in which you already derive an income' those costs are tax deductible.

I would imagine the vast majority of those for whom paying for endorsements is an issue, would fit in that category and that this would lessen the blow...?

My question is:
Has anyone actually received recent advice from an accountant about whether this is the case for your situation(s)?
If so, what's the response?

Matt