PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SilverJet
Thread: SilverJet
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2007, 21:01
BestonBoard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VS2BA, I am sorry you won't be joining us. In regards to the Role of IFM, I am sure you can appreciate you would be in charge of a team of 10 cabin crew on board a wide bodied Long haul aircraft (and responsible for their welfare whilst they are down route). The CAA do stipulate rules and regulations to the recency of your flying experience to be a senior member of crew.
I hope the discussions on here have given you some insight, and have enabled you to make an informed decision.
In regards to roster stability. I believe recruitment will be taking place on a weekly basis next year and when our numbers increase (we do require approximately 350 crew for 5 aircraft) Rosters should stablise with a higher degree of regularity.
Salary payments are highly subjective. Thanks to Silverboy et al for providing examples. If you take into account the fact that you are paid your basic whether your are flying or not (I can quote that some clerical assistants earn a lower basic than our cabin crew salary, and they do not have the benefit of flight pay, uprank payments etc.) It is basic math, take your basic salary and deduct PAYE and NIC. Then work out your duty hours, multiply this by the flight pay rate and add this on top of your basic. You will get a pretty good idea of how much you can expect to receive. The more you work, the more you receive!
Our benefits do include staff travel concessions (including discounted rates at the hotels we use), a non contributory pension scheme, 28 days annual leave (plus wrap around days), RDO's on a monthly basis if you wish, service awards, permanent contracts (subject to receipt of CRC and successfully gaining a US Visa and Airport ID) plus other benefits which are unfortunatley a little morbid including death in duty insurance and full medical insurance whilst on duty (including the commute to and from base.)
I appreciate that other long haul carriers do offer sector pay and allowances down route, which for some are beneficial. The industry we work in is subject to delays unfortunately. An aircraft is a machine and it requires maintenance. Take into account other elements such as the human factor, FTL, weather and even diversions etc for operational requirements, and you will not receive any extra payment on sector pay basis (unless your duty hours are extremely extended.) With flight pay you are paid an hourly rate from check in to check out, covering any eventualities that may arise.
It is worthwhile taking this all into account when considering accepting your position or not.
Our team are not 'the norm' when it comes to the role of cabin crew. Yes we are expected to work. Flying for a previous legacy carrier, I am sure you can appreciate a business or club class cabin does not typically hold 102 customers, and more often than not you will only be operating from one galley to cater for their needs. When you have an aircraft capable of holding 300 people, reduced to accepting just 102 business class customers, the size of the aircraft doesn't change. On a busy flight, you will know you are earning your money. If you take into the account the reason you want to be crew though, having the chance to be able to talk to your customers and get to know them a little better within an approximate 7 and a half hour flight time to NYC, rather than having to rush and race to try and complete several services to a greater number of people within the same time allotted, the benefits and personal rewards are there.
We are a dynamic growing airline, who has very recently secured further funding for increased expansion. We will be going places. To have expanded from no aircraft to three non conventional refits and cabin types within a year is somewhat of an achievement I believe. The future is looking very bright for us.
The inaugral crews commenced training approximately a year ago now, and what a year it has been. To be able to have such a hands on approach to developing our service and standards, and seeing it come into effect does promote a sence of ownership and posession. There are a great number of the Silverjet Set that are out there that are very proud to say they work for 'The Worlds Most Sivilised Airline'. Having won several awards in less than a year of operation, above 80 percent load factors, constantly increasing revenue customers and a great on time performance (we have had technical issues and some severe delays, please do not get me wrong, but if you look at things on the grand scale, we are doing exceptionally well.)
We have a great mix of individuals within our onboard team. Unfortunately within every work environment, you cannot please all of the people, all of the time. Whether this be an office, a factory or indeed onboard an aircraft. During my time here, I have seen some amazing individuals join and leave us. A personal decision in the majority of cases, and I truly wish them all well in whatever endeavours they pursue.
Some are not over pleased with the Assessment centres they have attended. It is worth noting that these days are as much for your benefit, alongside that of the company. You have to determine if becoming part of the crew is going to be right for you. We have to determine if you have got what it takes to consistently deliver a standard of service that we expect. Believe it or not, the experience that our recruitment team have is overwhelming. The fact that our outsourced recruiters are impartial to Silverjet (they do recruit for many airlines and other companies throughout the world) may be seen as a deficit, or a benefit.

One year on in Silverjet, and I can honestly say I am as motivated and driven to deliver the Silver standard as I was from day one, if not more. Contrary to what may have been previously posted, I am not one to either put up or shut up (my mouth can be my own worst enemy at times...) Fingers crossed I am still progressing well.

I too have experienced high pressure working conditions, minimum rest, back to back trips (I am in between one now)... Personally having some of the highest flying hours for a crew member over the past year, I am still keen and enthusiastic.

Not everything can be standardised, and perception and individuality are key factors in how you deal with your day to day life. What one person may thrive on, another may be in dismay at.

There are times you have to take a step back, and think outside of the 'tube' and contemplate... I can fully empathise for those who do not see things the same way I do. Their perception of Silverjet is their own. No one can take that away from them, for that is their right.

I would just encourage anybody who is interested, to take the chance and make your own mind up.

On a final note, for those of us who aren't as happy as they would like to be, and who a trying to leave us, I wish you every success in your future career, wherever it may take you. I would like to thank you on behalf of myself and the rest of the team for your hard work up to this point. However, I cannot speak for everybody, and some may have a different viewpoint to me...

Safe and Happy flying to all of you out there...

BoB
Silverjet - Changing Air Travel Forever...

Last edited by BestonBoard; 22nd Nov 2007 at 21:26.