PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sea King too old and putting Lives at risk.
Old 22nd Nov 2007, 14:10
[email protected]

Received 631 Likes on 273 Posts
NRDK - I am sure the boys at 771 will love you for that but actually our present incumbent is ex-Gannet and he's not going back in a hurry

You make it sound like the only good civsar crews are ex-military which I'm sure will find great favour with many posters here - not!

Frankly AIS sound as much use as ti*ts on a bull for a helicopter - if it's a big boat you will see it using eyes/radar/FLIR and if it's a little boat it won't have AIS. The MCA like it but for SAR use I think it's value is limited.

We have had a 4 axis autopilot for years, nothing new about that and I don't know why you need digital mapping when you rarely venture out of your comfort zone Your Skytrac, as we said, isn't compatible with the rest of the SARF (team game remember) and you forward facing radar is still cloud and clunk, not a proper I band (X band for civvies) maritime radar. TCAS and EGPWS is nice but you wouldn't need the nitesun if you had NVG. FLIR in the cockpit is just one more thing to distract the co-pilot when he should be doing mission management, that's why we leave it to the Radop.

Yes the banter would be good and a bit of suck-back uckers might be fun

The Force may work but is it legal???