PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Brand new Etihad A340-600 damaged in Toulouse; several wounded
Old 22nd Nov 2007, 12:53
Victor India

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mumbo,

Not sure where you're post was aimed at, but I'll bite at a couple of concepts contained therein:

* Those pilots commenting here about their experience conducting ground runs may not necessarily be airline pilots. I agree that if they were they would almost certainly have very slim experience. Believe it or not - in some organisations, the pilots are most certainly present (and interested!) in such testing. The concepts are the same on an A340 or something 1/2 or 1/10 the size. F=MA...

Whilst this incident is sad for the injuries and the loss of an airframe, it has NOTHING to do with pilots or piloting.
Sorry mate, but I reckon you're about 1000 miles down the wrong track with that opinion. Engineers are obviously indispensable to a safe and successful aviation operation, but your comment regarding pilots was either deliberately or unknowingly arrogant and unintelligent. Who flies the bloody things?

What we have here is some engineers and technicians messing up big time.
No sh*t mate!

I wasn't out to criticise, merely float some ideas. Many aircraft have crashed into the ground over the years through crew preoccupation/distraction with stuff other than what's happening outside the aeroplane. Through years of education and cultural change, the statistics have improved immensely.

Stuff like this happens. Unfortunate but true. Open communication and discussion on these issues may prevent someone like you screwing up one day - but only if you can swallow your engineer ego for a moment and listen...

VI