PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TOM stall?
Thread: TOM stall?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2007, 10:58
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ashling:

I agree with your assessment that a roll might cause the a wing to come closer to stall. The idea of reducing power on a low wing a/c was with me, but it would not be intuative to the average airline crew, especially not close to the ground. Your military recovery technique will work (I've done it when flicking off the top of a roll and screwing up), but you need lots of height. As the elevator might be 'like a wet fish in a gale' increasing stab trim might work, but you'd have to be very quick to remove that trim during the nose over recovery. Combinations of many things might be needed, but I'd enjoy seeing the FDR put onto an instrument display and learning what happened, why and then learn again from the crew's subsequent actions.

There have been some interesting reconstructions done e.g. about the China Airlines B747 that went into a nose down corkscrew due to engine out and a stall at CRZ level. I didn't yet see one about the Airbus in Paris that went high nose up at the OM. I saw only a still photo. There was the one in the far East that went from Approach mode into G/A and they stalled and did not recover. There must be lots to learn and I hope we have the chance.