PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oxford (OAT) Skills Assessment
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2007, 10:54
hellequin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I actually got accepted into OAT yesterday with a provisional course start for July.
I started the assessment tests 3 months ago when i went for NETJETS, needless to say i didnt make it to Lisbon but OAT said they would consider me for the APPFO if I completed the last part which, for me was the simulator part. The last bit is usually an interview and debrief but NETJETS did it all weird!
Basically, I didnt pass with flying colours but reasonably average all the way through.

COMPASS tests- With these, invariably you are either good enough or you are not! So dont worry too much about them, as i found although practice can make you aware of what is expected-on the day nerves kick in and it is a different experience. It is actually a weird feeling because you kind of enjoy them?????!!!!!!! Dont put too much input into the controls or youll be "chasing the needle" so too say!

GROUP EXERCISE- we were dropped off in a desert and basically had to find a route to a destination-- the point is not to make the best route but to interact respectfully with your team to come up with a reasonable solution. I spoke a little too much and was overbearing to a couple of characters so beware. Be sure to say your part but dont overdo it and get others who are quiet involved.

INTERVIEWS- The interview situation is a nerve racking environment but resign yourself to the fact that you have to do it and try to relax as much as you can- Bachs Rescue Remedy from Boots seemed to help me?
You are in it to show what you know and do exactly that DO NOT comment on issues or anything that you know nothing about---it is very transparent! Be prepared to say "I do not know the answer" you will earn more respect for that answer than any other. They try to put you under pressure in situations- just accept it and try your best, possibly use the above answer?!

SIMULATOR- I did this yesterday and i was very nervous and passed with an average mark. The flying is reasonably easy. You will make a mistake and forget to do something but as long as you can realise your mistake and make a deliberate effort to correct the mistake then they will be happy. They throw in a couple of questions to test your capacity to think while doing something else my question was- what is 20% of 150. All i can say for that is learn your square routes and percentages.
I have a friend who just got on CTC and they asked him to to do the alphabet backwards from M, the square route of 40(he said around 6.5 and they accepted that) and the also asked him 4% of 8000. That was CTC so if you can do those in your head then you will sail through.

I hope this all helps, I have missed stuff but that is standard such as personal profiling.
Good luck and dont

H