PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - South African Black Pilots
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2007, 07:59
saywhat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This topic has now gone off track, so I will just help it along.

Affirmative Action is not a new economic uplifting tactic. It has been used by many in the past, most noticeably by the whites during the apartheid era. The SADF, SAR, TELKOM, ESKOM to name a few, were companies whose sole purpose was to uplift the Afrikaner nation. It was a policy that worked exceptionally well for some, but not very well for others. Unfortunately, by it's very nature, AA isolates some for the benefit of others. AA, does have a lifespan, however, it is generally longer than one generation. This does marginalise some during its course, however, if you are wise enough, you can live through it.

To answer the original question again, and perhaps a little more blatantly. There were precious few black pilots during the apartheid era. They had virtually no promotion opportunities, and were definitely not regarded as being equals.

Post apartheid has seen a dramatic increase in the numbers, however, far too few to supply the demand for AA. I would guess, in fact that most of the present black pilots in SA are only doing what they do, thanks to various sponsored routes. This has caused more animosity in the industry, as there are many other pilots out there that have paid for their own training, and battle to get flying jobs.

Are their a good number of black pilots flying in SAA?
Well that is relative.
Yes - The majority of black pilots in SA fly for SAA.
No - The number is nowhere near where it should be, due to the simple reason that there are very few black pilots. The number is increasing, but it will take a very long time to see the figures that the government would like.

beers on me if ever in lagos and if u have time will fire up the barbecue so we can discuss at lenght.
Thank you, I would like to take you up on that, however, it is my belief that talking will not solve anything, it is in the process of solving itself. Mother time has the answer, but she wont tell for a long while