PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sea King too old and putting Lives at risk.
Old 22nd Nov 2007, 07:32
[email protected]

Received 631 Likes on 273 Posts
3D - the most that is stated on the RCS (ask the MCA for a look) for an S61's Radius of Action is 190nm. Ours is 240 nm using very conservative fuel planning that usually gets you back with 1000lbs of fuel so guess who gets to do the long range jobs? Chivenor and Valley regularly refuel in Eire and proceed out to beyond 15 West because the Irish Coastguard also have S61 with limited range. The Navy have a 205nm RoA and regularly refuel in the Scillies on their way out and back. Stornoway is the exception but I believe Lossie still do the longest range ones up there.

The RoA for the S92 isn't on the RCS even though it is claimed to be 290nm or thereabouts - is this a theoretical figure or has it been proved in action?

NRDK - I am not sure how the taxpayer is going to save money by civilianising SAR - it still has to be paid for and, as we have discussed at length, if the equivalent military capability is to be maintained, a lot more training will be required by the civilian crews. Add in the capital costs of all the new aircraft required and the profit margin for the next 30 years and I don't think that SAR provision will get anything other than more expensive - not less.

As for the MoD Budget - a few Sea Kings won't compensate for the ammunition bill for either Iraq or Afghanistan - the crews will still be employed in other areas and the engineers are already being contractorised - where is the saving there then?

You haven't used the HF in a 3A then - it's not perfect but no more daleks. Why should the ARCCK have to use additional kit to track something that was procured for UK SAR? The MCA partitioning machine at work again methinks.