PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - South African Black Pilots
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2007, 07:20
Shrike200

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The point has been made: There's nothing inherently wrong with the original posters question. (Although I think the answer is very short.)

It's just that any thread that brings up race runs the risk of becoming incredibly polarised in a short space of time, and many people who've been around here for a while have little patience for seeing the same back-and-forth comments. I can pretty much guarantee that there are NO white pilots here who have a problem with the person sitting next to them as long as they made it there on a reasonable degree of merit, and don't jump up and down shouting 'racist!' when somebody so much as breathes in their direction. AA is a reality, we all know that, but don't make it into the next version of apartheid. Otherwise in 50 years time, we'll be asking the same question as the original poster, but just w.r.t. white pilots.

The lack of answers to the original question just shows that most of the pilots posting here were too young to have been involved in aviation during that time. Importantly, that also means they had nothing to do with apartheid either, despite now being penalised for it. Hence the 'vigorous' answers.

I'm sure we can all just remain calm, get the job done, and concentrate on doing our little part for the way forward.