PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bill F'n Heffernan
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2007, 05:49
gaunty

Don Quixote Impersonator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmmmmnnn Lets just say young Bill and I are of a certain age and aquaintance.

And he is pretty to watch in Senate estimates Chair he takes no prisoners and usually with good humour pricks any tendency to Public servant pomposity and cuts unerringly to the chase if he thinks they are confabulating. That's his job.

We possess the same knock about sense of humour of the generation that was honed in perhaps a more tolerant (some would say intolerant) but certainly less uptight age. Dry, ironic, mercilessly direct and always up for getting put down. Impersonations or more accurately caricature acting were an essential part of the repertoire.

My adult children are in a constant state of terror when they have company at our house that I might say or do something that they or at least their generation choose to call "inapropriate" which in my day would most likely bring the house down, but is the cause of intense embarassment . Who is being intolerant here.

''You blokes take yourselves too f-cking seriously.''
Quite so. And thats why, even at my age I wouldn't miss the Chasers for anything, the very funniest bits being the "intolerant" reactions of the piss taken out of PC victims.