PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737NG Captains SPICE IT UP
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2007, 02:56
Nevrekar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't been privy to any information suggesting that there will be a change in T&C's here although I imagine it is possible for new entrants. Especiallly because of the falling dollar. Dollar has gone from 48/1USD to 39/1USD.As mentioned once the age 65 rule takes effect the pool of NG Capts and Capts at large will dry up. I do believe Indian Capts are on par with expats as far as gross pay is concerned. They still have to pay for their housing and Indian taxes. As far as mass exodus, not aware of that either although there are always rumours of such. True there might be a few leaving (X-mas holdiays) but that I think is factored in when considering manning of contractors. It is to some extent a revolving door process. Bluntly put, there is seldom "brand loyalty" when it comes to contract flying. If you are a contractor flying in some distant land without your family and support group, it makes no difference whether you are in India, China or Korea. As long as the T&C's are good. This is not in any way to discredit anyone who flies as a contractor. It's part of the human equation. Any Indian Capt asked to fly in a distant land without family and support would probably be exactly the same.
Life as a contractor for me is very different because I get to see my wife and kids pretty much every day. I am sure if I was here on solo status, I would most likely look at commutable contracts (Korean Air) and other perks. Then again I would never have left my previous airline for a solo contract. I am told that a carrier in South America is offering a 2 week on/2 week off contract for 737NG Capts. It would make it very attractive for anyone living in North America. It would be an easy commute as well.

Last edited by Nevrekar; 23rd Nov 2007 at 01:36.