PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK ARMED FORCES "STRETCHED TO LIMIT"
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2002, 23:36
TheWelshOne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Dr C - We still have WOs who are always in a very good position to tell the Sqn Boss enough is enough. It is within his TORs to temper the over- enthusiastic flt cdr or indeed the sqn cdr. Maybe we do not have the good old WO these days who speak their mind and will listen to the trade managers and voice their concerns upwards, even direct to the Stn Cdr if need be.

All officers have ambition, that's why they went for a commission. I think it was Montgomery that told his troops to shut up and get on with it - he told them to stop 'belly aching' or words to that effect. Was Montgomery a great leader? To his troops at the time he was probably one of those officer types making them work weekends.

Don't get me wrong DC, a lot of what you said is true and we could do with more officers with 'morale courage' who do the right thing for the right reasons. I do not think the working weekend (whilst not detached)is the norm thoughout the sqns unless it is absolutely necessary - if it is then I stand to be corrected and have every sympathy with everybody who is forced into this working regime.