PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flightwatch – 27 VHF outlets being closed
Old 21st Nov 2007, 01:08
Ex FSO GRIFFO

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts
G'day Dick,

It is obviously all 'academic' now......but the reason that Flight Service Officers were NOT ALLOWED to give an interpretation or even 'advice' on weather related matters was that the then Dept / Authority was absolutely **** scared of any LITIGATION which may / may not result from a matter where a clever lawyer MIGHT be able to show that the passing of such info had any bearing in the case of an accident / incident.

It is a matter of record that I was chastised more than once for offering advice to a pilot experiencing problems - e.g. with the U/C 'Gear Down' lights, in an aircraft in which I had extensive experience.....I advised him to check the NAVLIGHTS switch, and lo! When he turned the navlights OFF, the gear light became visible - thus negating the need for aerodrome A.E.P's....

And other cases where a LARGE CB was near one end of the strip, and a pilot was offerred the advice accordingly and the FSO, who also held a CPL, suggested he approach from the OTHER end........and was temporarily suspended for his trouble!

These 'general' instances are but mere examples of the type of thinking that existed / exists??.......

All FSO's were in fact adequately 'trained' - all held a CPL Met exam equivalent and were Accredited Met Observers - e.g. who did you see giving and doing ALL the MET functions in Derby for instance when you visited??
(All those years ago....)

Unfortunately, I am not sure that the current FW Officers are similarly trained.
So, in that respect, you are currently correct.

I did note that in a previous post you were suggesting an 'Advanced FLIGHT WATCH Function' ....to provide a better SERVICE perhaps?

Now there's a thought....why not call it FLIGHT SERVICE??

Regards, and all the very best to you in this venture.
I mean it!! Because The Industry needs it....IMHO......