PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The High and the Mighty
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2007, 23:19
fulmar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My personal favourite, and one with the longest title:
“Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines (Or: How I flew from London to Paris on 25 hours 11 minutes..)”
Made in 1965 the majority of early aircraft in the movie were flyable. I particularly liked the Avro Triplane of the dastardly Sir Percy Ware-Armitage (Terry Thomas). I can’t recall who made the aircraft- it may have been Personal Plane Services who made the aircraft used in “The Blue Max” – another aviation movie favourite.
Two bits of movie trivia: not a lot of people know this:
Eric Sykes, who played Courtney the servant, is still alive and well today and most recently starred in a Harry Potter movie. And Gert Frobe who played the German Colonel, could barely speak English. So in this movie and also “Goldfinger” his voice was dubbed.
Speaking of “The Battle of Britain” I was actually there when they blew up the hangars during the air raid sequence. As a young ATC cadet we were roped in to give background colour and were able to watch, at a safe distance, the mayhem that ensued. But my main memory of the day was the gravy buns and chips that they served from the catering bus!