PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737 when reduce speed?
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2007, 22:33
Ashling

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. You are over 2000 high on profile taking speed into account. If you can't hold high speed below 10,000 then you need the speedbrake now while you reduce to 250 then keep it out until you are back on profile. Make sure you are at clean speed by 12 track miles and you can then clean up any remaining excess with gear or keep the speedbrake out as you take the flap on schedule. If you can keep high speed and you don't mind risking a bird in the cockpit and are on your game then go for 320 to about 20nm then pull the speedbrake and select clean speed. You'll be there or there abouts and can kill the rest with gear but try to select it below 220 kts for pax comfort. In any case you won't have 10 tail all the way down or its highly likely they'll be on another runway, well mostly anyway.

2. As above but you'll correct to profile quicker.

3. 3nm per 1000' height loss add a mile for every 10 kts above clean. So 310 kts at 11000 you'll want to at @ 45 nm.

4 We aim for CDA's. Generaly I'll take flap 1 no later than 10 nms. If you were level at 2000 well below at say 10 nms then it all depends on the wind and ATC but you could get away with waiting until 1 dot fly up on most occasions if your feeling brave.

The really big sin is to be high speed close in always aim for clean at 12 nm to be there latest at 10 nm. You then have all the options, brake, gear flap or all three. So high speed at range to correct to profile, slow in good time then correct remaining smaller profile errors.

Ignore Ryrs advice. He's showing very poor husbandry of the aircraft and if thats what they do in his airline they will pay for it eventually with Flap incidents. At my home base we are often upto 6000' above profile in the mid teens with tailwind and I have always managed to retrieve it without the need for extra track miles and taking flap on the normal schedule. Incidently if you need to use land flap to steepen your slope to retrieve a poor situation then slow it down and follow your flap schedule to land flap then lower your nose with idle set in lvl chg. I'd suggest its a VMC or above MSA mvr though as alt acquire is often an issue at your last cleared level as you try to regain the glidepath once on the localiser so you have to wind the MCP alt down. Perfect CFIT set up.