PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Army Officer PVR Questions
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2001, 00:36
The Bonk

EO

1. I am sorry, but I do not think that the AAC realises exactly what talent it is losing at to the airlines and industry because it will not allow a genuine career in military flying.
So many bright young officers leaving that could be so easily retained.

Leaving due to family, Service pressures, seperation etc is natural wasted. But leaving still with a passion for military flying is just a disgrace.

These officers are the ones that provide the Corps with its flexibility, not the NCOs/LEs. These officers can be utilised by Glasgow in a number of ways. The training of RMAS, JCSC and other command and staff courses prepare them for the staff jobs that LEs get shunted into becuase of a shortage of SO3s. The odd staff job hurts no one, and none of us would complain, or PVR if that was the 'deal'.

Therefore not Spec Aircrew, but more like Career Aviators just like the RN (Currently holding 3 ex AAC officers, one about to start Sea Harrier training!) Poor Pongo, 'cohort of subordinate aviators' and 'reduce flying' for the commanders. Lets get this one straight, an OC should not be flying and should be able to rest on the experience he (soon to be she) has gained throughout their career. The OC is commanding, and the majority of that is with his brain and even when flying it is purely to obtain better situational awareness to make decisions and command. Not to physically stick and pole.

Those officers that have elected to sacrifice their careers and promotion for the sticks and poles bit should enable the OC to command by providing the knowledge, loyalty and officer corp ethos that is witnessed in the other Services. Can you imagine an AAC crew room with some 30 year old 3000 hour pilots, quite happy with their lot in life, but with the credability to stand up to the NCO mafia that manages to rough shod the current young officers into their mind set and modus operandi.

How many times have I heard during a set of ORDERS, (interrupting old and bold NCO)..."Sir...sir..your wrong, we won't be doing that, because its dangerous and a flight safety hazard, we'll do it like this lads." Flight Safety is my number one, and I have lost too many friends in my short career already to flying accidents, but this is purely born out of the perception (and in many cases wrong)that officers do not really know their core business of flying.

What is wrong with 'senior officer pilots' in an AAC Sqn? They can look after the younger pilots coming through, off load the QHI from some of his duties. Now if anyone is expected to know it all in a Sqn, it is the QHI....general flying, instrument flying, EW, tactics.....he is the one with the brain the size of a planet. Or is he?

Poor Pongo, the Career/Spec Aviator (and what is in a name?)will do the exact opposite to your "cohort of subordinate" aviators. It will strengthen the Sqn and improve not only morale, but also operational capability/efficiency and increase flight safety as there is more experience for authorisation, supervision and guidance of new aviators.

Back to the first point, the OC can then concentrate on the long term strategy of fighting and running the Sqn, in the knowledge that the professional core business and flying skills is in safe hands.

There are those in the AAC that do not want to stay flying and love the thrill and excitement of command and challenging staff jobs. The AAC needs these people to look after the high level interests of the Corps in JHC and Main Building, otherwise the other 2 Services will soon monopolise. There are some extremely capable and proffessional staff officers in the AAC, that will never sit in a cockpit again, but work their guts out for the interests of the Corps. Their brains are the sharp ones that will provide that decisive moment on the battlefield that will ultimately win a war and save lives. They need to be looked after aswell.

To hit the higher echelons of command they have got so many hoops to get through, that flying can only be 'quick look see'(The RAF do the same with their career flyers, as do the RN with their career men that are destined to command Aircraft Carriers etc). Yet again, another requirement for officers that want to stay flying in the Field Army,is to help the thrusting youngster who obtains command early keep his/her head above water in an area that has many potential poo traps! Not in a subversive, underhand insubordinate manner as Poor Pong insinuates, but in a supportive and loyal manner that allows fellow officers to discuss matters without ever forgetting who is boss, and ultimately who carries the can if it all goes wrong.

I am sorry if I have gone on for too long, but I am tired and saddened by seeing so many young officers unwillingly pushed into civvie street because they were forced behind a desk. These guys would be the ones that the country would be crying out for on operations. Why can't we admit that the other 2 Services have actually got it right. It would also solve the current problem of a shortage of staff officers at the lower levels as these officers could easily fulfill these jobs for a couple of years if required.

I purposefully haven't mentioned Apache, and the skills required and corporate knowledge base, but I will finish on a final point, life is very short, and if your passion is flying then to only do 4 or five years of it out of a 30 year career is sad.

Sirs, I do not want to go, I love the Corps, love military flying, except the separation from my girlfriend etc, love digging in and wearing green. You have spent millions on training me and I know that I can repay that with a career predominantly in the cockpit. If you send me to staff, then you have just trained a pilot for another Service, another country or another vocation. There are 3 types of Army Officer in the Corps:

1. The thruster who will actively pursue his career aspirations and ambitions.
2. Those that are easy come, easy go just happy with life, flying is fun, but the staff jobs are good too.
3. The passionate and aviation mad officer that just loves military flying.

The AAC has a complete mix, actively encourage that mix, the Corps will benefit from it I am sure.