PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - (The Department of Labour says) Kulula says Blacks are Non-swimmers
Old 20th Nov 2007, 13:55
EchoMike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exercise in multi-dimensional stupidity.

Swimming ability is a legitimate part of cabin crew qualifications, for reasons stated above. Olympic ability isn't required, but it would be nice if the cabin crew were an asset instead of a liability in case of need. This statement is not emotionally charged or race-biased (or it shouldn't be).

Wrong way: "Blacks can't swim." Result - uproar, hatred, discontent, lawsuits.

Better way: "Candidates shall be able to demonstrate ability to swim 10 meters towing another person." Simple statement of requirements for the job. There are other legitimate requirements, read, write, speak and understand English (for instance), lift XX kg, and so forth.

Kulula will soon find themselves running remedial swimming exercises if they cannot get enough staff, and applicants will know what is required before they start (and can go learn to swim in advance) - fair play all around.

As to this being "cultural" (previous poster mentioned that Africans and Asians are not into swimming), this may be a survival mechanism. The "enthusiastic swimmers" in some of these places may wind up eaten by crocodiles or contracting various loathsome water-borne diseases, and thus quickly remove themselves from the gene pool (sorry). There are places where you DON'T want to go into the water - period - so if going into the water is that dangerous, where's the motivation in learning to swim other than to be able to get out of it as quickly as possible?

Simple situation, handled appallingly poorly.

Best Regards

Echo Mike

(Who can just barely swim, but I cannot fly at all, so I have to use an airplane to help me, then it works quite well, thank you.)