PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wireless router advice
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2007, 13:26
Keef

Official PPRuNe Chaplain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check that whatever you decide on is compatible with your ADSL connection. There are "telephone" ones and there are "cable" ones, I understand, and never the twain shall meet.

I've had Belkin, which were so unreliable I've banned the brand from the house. Both my daughters learned the same lesson, the hard way.

I changed to Linksys which was fine, but I ended up with three boxes (modem, router, WiFi) and retired it.

I bought a Netgear DG834G, which would stop working about once every three days and need a restart. It also had duff LAN sockets. I think I was unlucky, because most people I talk to haven't had any serious problems with theirs. The price isn't bad.

In the end, I paid the extra cash for a DrayTek Vigor 2800G. It just works, all the time. It has a couple of quirky features - like you can't change its MTU from any of its control panels, and have to resort to command-line type stuff. It has all kinds of bells and whistles, most of which I don't even understand the function of. It does provide for VPN access, which I use to connect into the Essex machine when I'm up in Norfolk or out travelling. That "just works", too.