PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod Information
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2007, 06:14
BEagle

Received 328 Likes on 115 Posts
Winco, unfortunately the yoof-speak argot adopted by some youngsters does somewhat tend to confuse those who were brought up to speak the Queen's English.

Hence 'bitching few posts directed at a few guys that fly the jets' might well have been intended to mean the opposite to the meaning you assumed....

Research reveals that "bitchin'", as used by slouching, hooded street yoof, is synonymous with "cool" - or "kewel" in their argot. Innit. Like whatever.

Back to the main points, independent audit of airworthiness is an excellent idea. When, some years ago in a private e-mail, I made a similar point about training standards, the Stasi hauled me over the coals. My point was that in the civil world an external regulator maintains fixed standards, whereas in the military world standards can be (not necessarily are) reduced on financial grounds since there is no external regulation.

This is a statement of fact, not a criticism. It applies equally to all areas which, in the civil world, are regulated by the CAA.

What sound reason is there for the military not abiding by similar regulation? Operational imperatives are fine - if routine standards are not bypassed.