PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Arrow PA-28 Experienced In-Flight Break-Up
Old 20th Nov 2007, 01:43
IFMU

Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts
My dad used to fly a Debonair back in the early 70's. He told me there was a rash of wing failures due to people flying into convective weather. The accident pilots hit an updraft of 1000's of feet per minute, and tried to hold altitude with pitch. Like any glider pilot could tell you, the airspeed builds if you try to hold alitude in lift. Then you hit the downdraft on the other side, and suddenly want to go down at 1000's of feet per minute. Haul back on the yoke, at high airspeed, pull the wings off. That was the speculation of the day as to what was happening to the doctors. Not all a fault of the v-tail. My dad flew myself and my two siblings through some bad convection while skirting a thunderstorm. He asked for, and received a block of altitude rather than a single altitude. The recommendation of the day was to hold the attitude, and airspeed in bad convection and let the altitude go up and down if it was safe to do so. I barely remember it, I was 4 at the time. It made a big impression on my 13 year old brother, who vowed to never get into an airplane with my dad again. It also scared the hell out of my sister, but she was into horses and not airplanes.

The T-34's that shed their wings have the same structure as the bonanza/debonair. Fatigue rears its ugly head. Usually fatigue is the domain of the helicopter, due to the many load cycles its parts see. But run the loads up, it takes less cycles.

-- IFMU