PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Propellers are DANGEROUS
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2007, 19:43
shortstripper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think SNS3Guppy is generalising. He obviously knows his stuff, which is the point really! If you understand how engines work, (and yours in particular) then you can detour from the general recommendations fairly safely. However, you have to work on the basis of the lowest common denominator, and as such I'd say yes ... Do Not Touch or go near Propellers!

In the real world that's rubbish though!

I've stripped, rebuilt and constructed engines since I was a kid. I certainly don't know everything and more modern engine systems leave me cold. I do however, know my engine very well, prop it solo (no choice at my strip) and have propped many engines with confidence for many years. That said, I certainly wouldn't let my kids touch even my prop which is fairly safe as it's a Leburg. The reason is that I want them to be aware that props can kill, and if they get lulled into some false sense of security because Dad's engine can't start, they may think all aircraft are the same!

I think that's the point Stik was making right at the start of this thread ... innit?

SS