PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sorry. Just another 'military chief with grave concerns' thread. (Merged)
Old 19th Nov 2007, 17:45
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Al R
Perhaps we've always been this p#ssed off, but never communicated it, because we weren't able to.
Actually we were pissed off right royally in 1965 (or 1966) with the rear crew bang seats and the TSR2 etc etc and we showed this at the 1 Gp Dining In.

I don't know if the effects were heard outside the corridors of power but the AOCs career came to an abrupt stop. The story may be seen here

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=48124

The 3* was actually a retired 4* and introduced as

"A former AOCinC of Bomber Command and now a distinguished director of AV Roe (or Hawker Siddley), Air Chief Marshal Sir Harry . . . ." and the rest was drowned out with BANG BANG, BANG BANG and suitable precussive accompaniment.

Later posts in the same thread suggested the event was so large that some people thought the event was quite normal. I certainly have some different memories but in essence it is accurate. One of those who thought it perfectly normal was the Very Reverend Oliver Wycombe-Thistleton-Fiennes, until he got the letter of apology that is.

Oh yes, dissatisfaction was well demonstrated but we didn't get the bang seats for rear crew despite Avro's making a successful plan as the aircraft was due out of service in a year or two.