PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Some advice for the younger ones...
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2007, 17:26
Ochre Insider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
COROWACOMET

"why is it that you believe that the engineers at GE, Williams, Rolls Royce etc will sit on their hands and watch the rest of the technological world pass them by?"

Why is it that you continually make claims as to the meaning of my posts that are simply not there?!?!?!?

Of course the good people at these companies are working on new technology. However this industry is solely dependent on oil. Other transport industries (ie motor vehicles) can run profitably on fuel with lower calorific values. Aviation cannot. If you want to know the essential difference, it is that we work in three dimensions. We need conventional oil because it provides sufficient "bang" to enable us to carry sufficient payload over sufficient range. No other product can do this. So there will be a long development time to develop appropriate substitutes with appropriate burning and energy producing characteristics. This is an extremely costly development, and will require enormous investment to bring to market. The infrastructure must be agreed upon on a global scale and then built. So I say once again, the new products will not be brought to market until economically feasible - ie taking everything into account they must be cheaper to produce than oil. To convince energy companies of this will take many years of high oil prices. In the meantime our industry will die a slow death, taking our jobs with it. The new technology will eventually emerge and create a resurgence in the industry, but long after our working lives have finished. You were born either 30 years too early or 30 years too late!

The above paragraph contains the entirety of my point. Please stop trying to impute implications from my posts that simply are not there. To disagree with me and debate me is your prerogative. To misrepresent me is bad form.

Once again, this is a view of the industry as I see it. If you choose to wear rose coloured glasses and go "gung ho" into aviation because you are seduced by big jets, good luck, we have all been there. However, as others have alluded, our working lives are a disaster waiting for a place to happen if we don't have a backup plan.

OI

Last edited by Ochre Insider; 19th Nov 2007 at 21:14.