PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EasyJet Holding Pool
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2007, 17:11
Ashling

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Santa's Little Helper

NSF knows better than most what he is talking about when it comes to easyJet and Balpa.

He is quite correct that membership levels are a problem. Look at the results other airlines get with high levels of membership. Despite this Balpa have achieved a great deal in the time I have been with the company and deserve due credit for that.

Balpa membership costs are not as high as you suggest. You can claim tax relief on the 1st 2/3 of your annual membership. So on £700 the saving is £186.66 as at that level of cost the member would be a 40% tax payer. Not so sure of the costs if you pay your tax to other than the UK taxman. Oh and they only charge you half your subs in year 1 and 3/4 in year 2. In 2004 they negotiated a tax break of £950 a year which we all get, member or not. So I reckon thats a quantifiable benefit to me each year of about £450 thanks to Balpa as my subs before the adjustments I just mentioned are over £700. Very helpfull around Christmas don't you think Santa's Little Helper? So next time you slate the cost of membership get your facts right.

If you are one of the freeloaders then get your act together and get on board the ship. If people do not stand together then there is only one winner and its not the crews. Balpa is far from perfect but its the only show in town so stop pulling it down and face up to the real threat.

If you have a workable alternate to Balpa then by all means enlighten us.

Thought not.

Last edited by Ashling; 19th Nov 2007 at 20:01.