PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Different Twins For Ir
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2007, 16:14
sick_bag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"You wont develope situational awareness in a DA42"

the IR test in the DA 42 is done using raw data, just like in a spam can. no difference whatsoever. the auto-pilot is demonstrated on the test for a short period of time during the cruise, to make sure you can actually use one! but thats all. he wont let you fly the ILS with it!

The scan is different on the Garmin 1000. At first i actually found it harder to maintain altitude accurately than i did on the steam gauges i'd used before. (A needle on a big round gauge needs less interpretation than a moving tape on a screen - even when theres an altitude bug) That said, once you get the feel of it, its nice...

Other differences -
DA42 is less stable directionally and in pitch than a senaca or duchess and needs lots of attention on the rudder in turns. But, you have a nice big attitude indicator, so you'll be fine..

but, the main thing with the plane is that it has proper engines (ie not lycomings or similar!!) you wouldn’t expect have to think about over boosting in your turbo diesel car - so why on earth would you want to do it when flying a go around in bad weather??) No nasty fixed waste-gate turbo on the twinstar. When you drive your car, you dont worry about the cylinder temperature too much, because its water cooled and thats the way it should be! so, no cowl flaps to fiddle with - because you'd rather be flying the plane. what i'm getting at is that the the main advantage of the plane over the older twins is the engine management (or lack of). the actual 'pilot ****' is no different to any other little plane...

the ADF in the DA 42 is a becker one and is not one of the machines strong points at all. The king ones typically found on conventional instrument panels are more accurate and much nicer to use in my experience..

Change is coming - there'll be no choice soon. the fleet of senacas used for ir training in the uk is actually not that large and FTOs still using them will have no choice but to replace them within the next two or three years because pprune wannabes wont want to fly them...

enjoy your training and good luck