PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2007, 16:06
Boslandew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weather Minima

The AerosCo
Point taken, I should phrased my estimate perhaps as a speed range sooner than as a specific figure.
I am not attempting to prove or disprove anything but trying to understand the flight better. If the airspeed was below 140 knots the weather minima would either be, according to recent posts, clear of ground, in sight of ground with a forward visibility of 1000 metres or a 100' cloudbase and 1000 metres vis. If the airspeed was over 140 knots it would have been 5.5kms vis and an increased cloudbase (recent post). I'm trying to discover what that increased cloudbase figure would have been.
It has been pointed out recently that civilian/military weather minima camparisons are not relevant and I accept that. However, when coasting in during North Sea operations, which I did many times in a Chinook, as well as weather minima we were required to observe the Rule about not flying within 500 feet of anything thus requiring us to fly at 500'. It would appear that this did not apply in the case in question. I wonder if someone could clarify this point and if it did not apply, on what grounds?