PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Urban Myths
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2007, 22:36
TwinHueyMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"When the RAF taught using 30kts for vortex ring, it was for a very good reason. The ASI on Gazelle started reading accurately at 30, so anything below was classed as zero. We were told the figure was MUCH lower, but that was the lowest speed we could read."

I got told the same thing.

However, this VRS rumor thing confuses me a bit. I read up everything out there on VRS and how to get into it, and really believed that you'd have to be falling at a great rate with low airspeed to get into VRS (think 900fpm vertical descent), until I went out with the instructor and got full blown bucking bronco VRS that started with pulling collective at 200fpm descent rate indicated (figure 300-400 with the VSI lag) and maybe 0-5kts airspeed in a robbie. After seeing that, I'm a firm believer of <300fpm at <30kts. Granted, it's still that elusive goblin that's gonna come and git'cha, but without complete practical experience and understanding, and only what I've seen during training evolutions, I'm convinced that the point at which you could get into it is a lot closer than some make it out to be.

Anybody's thoughts?

Mike