PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Altitude PreSelect : Who Sets it?
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2007, 21:44
Sir Donald

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not a newly trained Airboo,far from it.
Statistics tell us one thing and that is an attitude like yours,don't get me wrong,you are probably fun to fly with but beacuse of your experience level you tend to become complacent and fly without a checklist or SOP.Yea yea I have done this many times over,but under the right conditions the odds of bending metal are staked in your favor.It has been proven many times over and 25000+hours does not insure you against the possiblity either.
Guess what,a higly experienced Captain refused to do the after take off checklist, ''you need to be an idiot'' to pull out the laminated carboard out,and he was well known for it.Guess what happened one sunny day?
After a bleeds of take off?Just that,did it many times over he did not bother to look and confirm the pack switches position he just assumed.And thats the purpose of a checklist.Not a biggie by your standard,what counts for you is obviously ''bent metal'' and nothing inbetween.And that is one case of many for which I do not have the time to list here.We appropriately re-named the said panel in his honour.
There are well documented cases of overbearing highly experinced guys who fly perfectly servicable airplanes into the ground for no other reason than their overconfident''attitude''.