PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EasyJet Holding Pool
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2007, 20:48
Norman Stanley Fletcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dutchjock - although I do not agree with your analysis about the Madrid contract, I do share your concerns about the potential for massive wage reductions by the mechanism you specified. Like many things in life, the truth does not lie at the extremes of the argument. I personally see some merit in local contracts but with certain protections built in. Once again the need for a unified BALPA-based workforce is becoming apparent and I have zero sympathy with any complaints about easyJet from any pilot who is not a member. The recent difficulties we have had with our management can be traced directly back to a dilution of membership rates and the consequent boldness of our managers to make decisions clearly not in our best interests.
The issue of European contracts is about to become the big issue at easyJet and we should be prepared for a serious battle. That battle is winnable, but will require greater resolve from the pilot workforce than currently is being shown. In a nutshell, there is an increasing minority of pilots at easyJet who are 'freeloaders' - they want all the benefits won by BALPA but will give none of the commitment. That is their choice, but ultimately we will all lose out if we do not stand together.