PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VC's 'cheapened' by being awarded to SAS bods in Afghanistan.
Old 17th Jan 2002, 15:23
Jackonicko

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for that - it sounds like inside knowledge that what they did was brave enough. I wasn't fishing, just had my curiosity aroused by the story, and I'm sure that you'd acknowledge that 'Trust Me Tone' wouldn't be beyond encouraging awards for his little war in order to get political advantage. V pleased that many in the Army don't think that's the case.

I have often wondered if the extreme selectivity with which the medal is issued, and the way in which the requirements have sometimes seemed to vary, or to be influenced by domestic propaganda/morale needs hasn't led to a problem which could be solved by being just a tiny bit more generous with medals - not like the US, but just more generous. IMHO, many more DFCs should have been awarded in Granby, while that Victor tanker bod in the Falklands surely deserved even more than a DFC for his bit of reasoned heroism?

Again, no disrespect intended (except perhaps to TB the PM and maybe the wizards in Handbrake House).