PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Altitude PreSelect : Who Sets it?
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2007, 17:59
Sir Donald

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
411's
''And then again, when the ATC controller says...'EAN4126, climb to FL370' the non-flying pilot (me) responds to the controller accordingly, resets the altitude selector, arms same and then says to the flying pilot (in this case the First Officer)...there you go, 370.

First Officer responds....where the heck is the coffee? while ringing the call bell, then finding the hosties in the down galley having a smoke.

All this verbal diatribe used today is totally un-necessary and a complete waste of time.
Dreamed up by Airboos, no doubt''.
It was dreamed up by teams who conducted a lot of research on how best to develop,maintain situational awareness amongst other things.I find this a rather pathetic and childish response.Mind you I do not have the gazilions of hours as yourself.

I have flown with various guys and the ones that screw it up are often very experinced machos not newly promoted F/O's or Skippers.
If this happens at your present operator than some serious re-training needs to be undertaken by everyone that works there.

In your example,If the FO cannot prioritise between altitude confirmation first,whilst hand flying and at the same time trying to order coffee by looking on the overhead panel trying to locate the call attendants switch,then your case against SOP is unjustified on those bases.Majority of accidents can be attributed to the statment above which encourages a casual or total disregard/approach to SOP'S.A latent failure.

I know there seems to be a lot of ''red tape'' but if I cant explain something then my reason for giving up is''there must be a bigger picture'' reason.

Experince breads complacency which in turn is the paradox that comes from experience.

Safe fly'n