PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VC's 'cheapened' by being awarded to SAS bods in Afghanistan.
Old 14th Jan 2002, 07:01
solotk

The suggestion by the paper in question, seems to be the award of the VC's might be an attempt by the GL to legitimise and enchance the Afgan hoo-haa in the eyes of the British Public. But then again, said paper is really quite good as toilet paper.

However, I know , I sure as hell, do not ever want to find my self armed only with a Colt or H&K, trying to winkle die hard ratboys out of a cave complex they know better than me. As far as i'm concerned, that was brave enough for the medal

In recent times, there has been some discussion, over the award of the Falklands VC's. It seemed, there was absolutely no doubt in anyone's mind, that Sgt Mackays VC , was in the finest tradition of the award, cut down going forward, out of ammunition and in with the bayonet. Col. Jones' VC, was I remember, debated in some quarters as more of a political reward. To my mind, he was the boss, who died leading his troops, so that was good enough.

However, there are 2 more VC actions, which have never received the award.

One, from the Falklands, involved an SAS Captain and his signaller. They were cut off , and the argies had every advantage. From what I remember, the Sasser took the spare ammo off the signaller, and then held off the Argentinians long enough to get him away. He was killed in the action. The argentinian commander, made a formal request, that the captain be awarded the VC, but as an enemy commander, his request could not be honoured, because, the award of the VC, is subject to being witnessed by a British, Commonwealth or allied officer.

The second one, was an Australian FAC pilot in Vietnam, Gary Cooper, who currently has a Spitfire under rebuild.

<a href="http://home.earthlink.net/~aircommando1/GCCongMOH1.htm" target="_blank">http://home.earthlink.net/~aircommando1/GCCongMOH1.htm</a>

I would ask you to read the story, it is just incredible, and maybe someone who reads this forum, can explain why he never got the award?

Tony
(sic transit gloria)