PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - REx Management – “OUTthere” or “OUT of there”
Old 18th Nov 2007, 15:08
Guptar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It was said to me by a couple of friends who ar HR professionals who have been reading this thread that some pilots need a reality check. A $6.00 pilot retention surcharge, what about the engineers, ops people, marketing people, accountants....or are pilots the only ones who deserve extra. Just playing devils advocate.

So everyone has been quick to disparage aircrafts arguement and even his liniage, but no one has actually come up with what should be done. Lets see some suggestions, if you guys can.....for such aeas as.

Salary for FO, Capt
Duties
Rosters
Check and Training

Sure, some wally is going to suggest a new FO should work 3 days a week and start on 150K but lets keep it realistic.

Some ideas passed to me by current and ex REX drivers.

Hats - get rid of them. Their only use is a place to stash your roster.

Dedicated flight planning and load contol staff at major ports. The FO shuld be FOing, no standing at the bottom of the steps saying thank you for flying Rex at boarding. Flight dispatch should be doing the trim, not FOs

Give the crews a bus to and from the hangar to the ramp at Syd, crew hitching a lift on the toilet cart or catering truck is not a good image.

50K plus allowances for a year 1 FO, maybe 85K for year 1 capt.

Rethink flight ops proceedures, the SAAB was designed to have NO recal items, yet the REX FCOM is a voluminous document that make the space shuttle seem simple by comparison.

Fire the checkies whos sole aim in life is to fail guys on sim checks, talk to anyone who has been through it, they know what I am talking about.

For the record, I do agree that rex management are making a complete hash of the situation and are indeed risking the future of what could be a very sucesssful operation.

While i dont agree with Airrcaft 100%, he does make some sense. At least there is one person who doesnt think the world revolves around pilots...and yes, I am a pilot.(turbine driver and all).

Rather then just be part of the äint it awful" crowd, come up with suggestion to improve the work environment. There has to be some common sense, the revenue that a company makes is all it has to carve up in remuneration, its just like a pie, you cant serve 8 pieces if you only have enough to make 7. The trick is to make a bigger pie. BUT, if there is a bigger pie, ALL concerned deserve a bigger piece, not just one select group.

Gets hard hat and waits for the incomming fire.

Last edited by Guptar; 18th Nov 2007 at 15:30.