PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ECLIPSE 500 in the U.K.
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2007, 07:34
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Epic Dynasty will be certified, FAA at least so it will be viable as an N-reg. The absolute need for EASA certification will depend on what happens on the regulatory front in Europe; my view is that EASA will have to accept FAA certification eventually.

The Epic Escape TP is more interesting to me; smaller and even faster.

The "obvious" upgrade from a piston is the Jetprop conversion of a Malibu. This is much cheaper than stuff like the TBM700/850. This is crucially below 2000kg so avoids the Eurocontrol route charges which for an avtur engine are of the same order of cost as the fuel itself. Official TAS is limited to about 260kt I think, but by all accounts it has loads of spare power.

OTOH if you want to carry 6 fat people and luggage then you have to go for something big. One can't have it both ways.

Lots of twin piston pilots fly "VFR" to avoid the charges but that is very inflexible (I've done plenty of VFR before I got the IR but being 1400kg not to avoid the charges) unless one is willing to just scud run OCAS regardless of conditions. Some of these end up in the terrain.