PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WHAT A SHAME
Thread: WHAT A SHAME
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2002, 04:03
Always_broken_in_wilts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear All, . . What a wonderful thread this has become but it would appear that there are a lot of us in here who are suffering from the traditional British trait of envy. If we could all just accept that the "main" task of the RAF today, as it has always been, is the projection of of our Air Power and that anything we can do as individuals to streamline that is simply in the best interests of us ALL, what a different Air Force we would have. Most of us have to grasp the fact that we will never be CAS, or the like, and find our niche in life and strive to do the best at what ever level we reach. I am now approaching my 28th year in the mob and after 15 years fixing all 3 types of aircraft I have spent the last 12 and a bit either hanging out of a Puma door or tending to the needs of those unfortunate souls aft of 245....whilst making the odd coffee for Alberts drivers, two less to cater for on my electric jet! I realised, a few years ago, that I had reached my particular rung on lifes ladder and am very happy with my lot, however I believe the system is at fault as it seems to want to breed a continous succesion of "aspiring chiefs", but frowns on anyone who is happy to accept their "indian" status. And lets face it without a happy buch of indians what's the point of being a chief? . .. .There can be absolutely no doubt that we do select the most capable people to drive our aircraft, even if they often seem to have the people skills of Attila the Hun, the patience of Basil Fawlty or the petulance of most two year olds, often displayed in here with great aplomb! However, if we were all honest with ourselves the job they do is one we would all love to "ave a go at" but for most of us this is a dizzy height we will never attain. That said I have managed to reach FS ALM, and proud of it, without a single O/A level to my name and at the senile age of 31 so the oppertunities are there but are limited. . .. .So for the very very small band of "AG" clones out there who, more often than not sit in the "big" seats in handbrake house or other admin outposts counting very important beans, please spare a thought for Blogg's next time he/she, nice PC touch there, show's exasperation cos your section's not manned over lunch,imagine Albert stopping for lunch...now there's an idea, or he/she can't get a medical/dental appt to fit with their flying prog, or they have been dicked for the classic Admin job of Ord Officer cos most adminers have some sort of manufactured stand by duty and therefore are exempt....go figure!!..... sh@t! the list is endless. Just pause and ask yourself what has he/she been doing or how long has he/she just been away while you have been sat there drinking your tea and thinking up new ways to f..k up the meagre spare time they have.. .. .End of diatribe. Bit disjointed but I think the sentiment is about right. Wonder if anyone will disagree?. .. .Happy Herc Mate. .. .All spelling mistakes are alcohol induced.....hic!. . . . <small>[ 06 March 2002, 10:01: Message edited by: Always_broken_in_wilts ]</small>