PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Some advice for the younger ones...
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2007, 00:16
wrongwayaround

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some advice for the younger ones...

A young man PM'ed me for some advice recently (especially regarding cadetships)... I hope you all don't mind but I thought maybe some other very experienced pilots can add to what I wrote.

I feel young people are in a position of power now, and if making the right decisions, a career in aviation will be very rewarding in the future.

WWA

Hi xxxx. No problems mate.

Stage 2... is that the panel interview, or the computer testing?

I'm a checking captain with a major carrier (overseas)... For anonymity reasons I won't tell you the company, I hope you don't mind.

But xxxx, you're so young and I know what happens in the industry and will be happy to help you out as much as I can. I started my career flying charter in a Piper Warrior and Cessna 182 in australia... Flown in many different aeroplanes, and in other 3rd world countries. When you go through the industry like I have, and many other people have - you get really good experience... That goes without saying.. But you can run into alot of unpleasurable and nasty situations. This can range from meeting someone who doesn't like you very much.... and they put you down. You can find yourself in situations (flying) which scare your pants off.. You can have so many bad experiences in General Aviation, that it clouds your vision and by the time you get to an airline... Like I did - alot of the 'magic' has been washed away? - My advice is to stay positive - no matter how hard it is. And the industry IS CHANGING, for this very reason - I mean lets face it xxxx, flying is alot of fun - but who wants to work in this industry? If it continued to stay the way it is, I would not recommend it to anybody (pay, conditions etc). But now, notice not many people are learning to fly for this very reason - hence the experience shortage. I haven't seen this many jobs going in my whole life. So I truly believe the industry will slowly improve and be more desirable to work in.

I guess the Qantas cadetship would be good to get in. If I was in your shoes, I'd really hope for that.

I fear that the REX cadetship might not be all that it is worth - for the time they want you there for the amount they are paying... I think after 2 or 3 years you will be wanting more money to get your life 'on track' and do the things you want to do, and be able to afford the things you want to afford. However, if it's something you truly believe you want, and you can be there for (is it 6 years service?)... Then go for it, mate.

Whatever you do, make a promise to yourself to be the best pilot that you can be. This means 'knowing your stuff'. The good pilots are always thirsty for information and know their aeroplanes inside and out - they know the area's they are flying in, and they are constantly learning, they are humble yet savvy, . The 'half assed pilots' are the ones that get 'comfortable' and make sure they only know the bare minimum to get by in their jobs - and believe me - these are the ones that don't make airline pilots. It's a trap you don't want to get caught in

Any more advice.. Just ask away

WWA.