PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New buy, PC or MAC?
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2007, 23:02
bnt

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
But remember a 3GHz PC will not be as fast as a 2GHz Mac ... Infact nowhere near.
That hasn't been true since Apple switched to the same Intel CPUs that are used in many PCs. I'll say it again: think applications.

If you want to use Weta Digital as a reference, note that they're primarily a Linux shop, according to their FAQ. Or, have a look at the Massive software they created themselves, for creating the mass battle scenes in LoTR, and its requirements. There is a Windows frontend version, but the backend renderfarm is only in Linux at this time. WETA use IBM (PC) blade servers for rendering (report). There is no Mac version.

Dreamworks, meanwhile, have a contract with IBM's big competitor, HP, and uses their PC hardware for everything, front and back. Didn't you see the HP & Shrek commercials on TV?

Maybe Macs ruled the graphics and FX world back in 1998, but it's definitely no longer the case, so much for your "99%" figure. Can you imagine how much more LoTR would have cost to make, had Weta Digital tried doing it all on Macs? I have no problem recommending a Mac if it's the best tool for the job - which is what this thread was about, I thought? Applications such as GarageBand, Logic, etc. do make a powerful case, and Leopard sure looks pretty. Whether you'll get what you pay for is a personal decision. Not everyone wants to drive an car with an automatic gearbox, either.

I don't mean to go on, but it doesn't help the original poster if you make claims about inherent superiority of Macs that might have been plausible years ago, but don't stand up to scrutiny today. There's more to the PC than Windows - just ask Weta - so even if Vista deserves all the criticism it gets, it doesn't mean that a Mac is the answer.

Last edited by bnt; 17th Nov 2007 at 23:24.