PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sea King too old and putting Lives at risk.
Old 17th Nov 2007, 19:37
[email protected]

Received 630 Likes on 272 Posts
Wiretensioner - I suppose I could make the effort if I was invited Liaison is always beneficial but it works both ways - do you have MCA guys coming to visit RAF SAR flts to see how we do business before they claim they have the same capability as us?

I know we are all in the same business and we all launch when the phone rings, regardless of the weather and I have never denigrated individual crews professionalism or bravery - it is the organisational issues I have problems with.

3D - It is hardly a case of 'at last' regarding my understanding of your second aircraft - I have known the situation from the start but you have been to busy jumping to conclusions about my posts to notice. Your local MRSC is only your tasking authority when the incident is within 30nm - outside of that it is ARCCK. As such, your flight should have access to the RCS and a direct line to Kinloss - if it doesn't then someone has been telling porkies about command and control of SAR helicopters.

Your comments regarding serviceability are slightly naive, if the contract says you must give 98% availability or there will be contract penalties, there is immediately an incentive to be economical with the truth if you are facing a lot of down time on the aircraft.

As I said before, this 'allegedly' occurred sometimes in the 90's but I am sure would not be tolerated now the big contract is up for grabs. Anyway I thought that CHC were already running the contract in the channel, only using S61 until the 139s appear. Was this not the agreement under the interim contract?

Check - we see jobs done by RAF aircraft get reported in the press as RN and vice versa - it is certainly not a big RAF PR machine and we certainly don't try to take credit for jobs we don't do. It sounds like you did a good job in '88 but if you are still bitter about lack of recognition, I think you probably need to give yourself a good talking to.

3D - I'll await the invite but meanwhile if you would like to come to Chivenor to see what we do and how, I would be happy to arrange it.