PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Down slope landings
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2007, 17:47
A.Agincourt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. Avoid tail up slope landing at all times if you can. Though you might do so successfully, you increase the difficulty of handling for take off. The easiest situation I have found to be, when doing this is when there is a substantial head wind - with the tail up slope and within limitations. This is pertinent specifically for the take off and will allow you to ensure a positive forward cyclic positioning without the half-assed lurch skywards that would otherwise result. [Leaning into the wind]

2. If there is no other possible alternative - and lets face it [as another has already pointed out] that will be a very rare occasion warranting the consideration of whether it is wise to land there at all - then use the cross slope variation - within limits.

Your experience is by your own admission limited so my sincere advice is before attempting anything other than a landing on a flat surface 'in the field' practise in a known environment.

An aid to difficult landings on uneven surface is to be able to accomplish what I call a three point landing/take off - to/from low hover IGE. I found this to be a neat trick with aircraft that have a rotating undercarriage.

Best Wishes

Ace