PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Brand new Etihad A340-600 damaged in Toulouse; several wounded
Old 17th Nov 2007, 16:20
Philscbx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Testing/ Brakes ON only

Been a while now, I used to do a few of the line testing on the old L1011's.
I assisted in holding the brakes, and I was quite amazed the first time testing just one Rolls Royce at a time, trying to hold it back with both feet on the brakes. He's a heavy, and he was angry I was holding him back.

Seems to me I had to also monitor reserve pressure and transfer backup reserve as the pressure bled off from standing too long on the brakes.
They were 15 years old then in the mid eighties. Maybe one ship left in Holland.

Being you cannot see the engines from the pilots seat, I had to see for myself up close as to why we are basically being thrown out of the seats from the oscillations. Who ever designed the engine mounts knew what they were doing. I never saw so much twisting of major components at that power range.

I don't think I would ever try 2 engines at once, let alone 3 it had. From all the severe oscillations, I would think this would break loose the tires at some point. If an inch of traction is ever lost, It would be one big out control city bus in a hurry.

From TUGNBAR:
we are made to stand in front any a/c during high powered engine runs either in sight or in RT contact, (for safety reasons!!!)

This too really did not sink in as the possible reality, and I was also in this position on the next tests that I decided to position myself directly in front of the engine hardwired into the cockpit. I hope I had the truck in gear ready to escape.

I was reluctant to report what I did see, and at night one can see from off the front fan,, the dancing lightning.
Wish we had digital camera then.

This current incident is odd, and may have to get out the black, I mean Orange boxes to see what really happened. It better not be blamed on a iPod.