PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Meteor Accidents - 1953
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2007, 15:57
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
The Vampire (as you've posted a picture LL) wasn't without its idiosyncrasies I believe. I never flew it myself, our course was the first to train on JPs, but Vampires and Meteors (for those too lanky for the MB seats in the Vamp) were used by the entries senior to us at Sleaford Tech. No doubt someone of their vintage will correct me, but AFAIK there was a band of Eng RPM that was verboten on the approach (to avoid surges?) not the cleverest limitation for a training aircraft. The effect of this was that the MO kept his window open, even in the depths of winter, with his mini parked outside. Thus one could be only half way through one's heart wrenching list of ailments and symptoms hoping for a sickie, when at the first peep of the station crash alarm you were addressing an empty chair!
The other endearing feature of the Vamp was that the U/C and flap selectors could and sometimes were confused. Thus the after landing tidy up could be anything but as with a graunch she settled onto her belly!