PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GPS Jamming in UK
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2007, 15:01
Astral_Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathrow Director
Radio amateurs are responsible individuals, many of whom are at the forefront of radio technology. Radio amateurs can, and do, legally operate on frequencies well above those employed for GPS and I would be surprised if any of those experimenters caused problems.
Thank you... Couldn't agree more.

I read the article presented by Temet_Nosce. Although I can see what they are getting at as to the effect the Ionosphere has on radio signals (as every advanced radio amateur knows) It is virtually unheard of for signals above 800 Mhz to be affected by the Ionosphere to any great extent. Areas of intense ionisation (Sporadic E propagation or Meteor trails) does occur and that can affect frequencies below the one I mentioned.

Another mode that can affect higher frequencies up to 10 Ghz or so is Tropospheric propagation. That might be something that people are more familiar with, as it uses as part of its method of travel the boundary layers between warm and cold air, and radio signals bounce between the boundaries. No doubt many of you have flown through one before, as it is exactly the same type of thing as a temperature inversion with its very marked boundary.

As to GPS signals being affected by such things. Yes I feel that they can be, but only signals that are traveling at a very shallow angle. I'm sure that somewhere there is research and various safeguards in place to ignore the erroneous signals .

Astral (ancient G8***)