PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Visual Approaches in Transport Jets - are they appropriate?
Old 17th Nov 2007, 10:33
sabenaboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I sure am glad that I fly for a company that allows and encourages manual raw data app's and visual landings! It's just a matter of company culture.
In my company every new guy (or girl) will be happy to handfly the A320 without A/T, A/P or F/D once line-training is completed. That's the way it should be. (Most of them start training on the A320 freshly out of flight academy with around 300 hrs total time) We'll fly visual app's whenever it's appropriate and possible to do so. That's where pilot judgement comes in!

So I (and my colleagues) switch off the automatics whenever the conditions permit to do so. We'll leave the A/P on when there's a good reason to do so. (Weather, traffic density, fatigue...)

I can assure you that no-one in my company worries about handflying a single-engine ILS app. with all automatics switched off during the SIM-checks. Oh, and yes, "my" company has an excellent safety record!

Regards,
Sabenaboy